Areas of InterestInternational Business, Strategic Management, Foreign Direct Investment, Emerging Markets, Multinational Business Strategies
Professor Tatoglu is a professor of International Business and also serves the Vice-President for Academic Affairs at Ibn Haldun University, Istanbul, Turkey. He has a wide experience of research and teaching in International Business and International Strategic Management at undergraduate, postgraduate and executive levels. Professor Tatoglu also has extensive experience in policy development, strategic planning and foreign direct investment (FDI) having served as the head of strategic planning unit in the Turkish Prime Ministry and also acted as principal adviser for the Investment Support and Promotion Agency of Turkey. He authored/coauthored over 70 scholarly articles in various internationally refereed journals including Management International Review, Journal of World Business, Human Resource Management, International Business Review, and International Marketing Review among others. Professor Tatoglu is area editor of the Journal of Knowledge-Based Organizations published by the Information Resources Management Association and also co-editor of Afro Eurasian Studies published by MUSIAD. He also serves as editorial board member of the Employee Relations published by Emerald. Professor Tatoglu’s research is highly regarded at an international level with his cumulative google scholar citations totaling 4881 (h-index: 37; g-index: 62).
- Graduated with Honour List Standing, Bsc., Middle East Technical University, 1991.
- Awarded with the scholarship of Higher Education Council of Turkey for engaging in postgraduate study in the UK, 1993.
- The most ‘Outstanding Paper’ award by MCB University Press for “Western Joint Ventures in Turkey: Strategic Motives and Partner Selection Criteria” published in European Business Review in the 2000 volume.
- The “Outstanding Academic Performance” award by Bahçeşehir University for the 2009-2010 academic calendar.
- The best track paper award by Joint Conference of the 4th International Conference on Operations and Supply Chain Management and the 15th Asia Pacific Decision Sciences Institute, Hong Kong, Shunde and Guangzhou (China), 2010.
- The SSE/WAIB (Women in AIB) award for Increased Gender Awareness in International Business Research Awarded at the Academy of International Business (AIB) Annual Meeting, Washington, D.C., July 1, 2012.
- Academy of Management 2013 Annual Conference, Operations Management Division, Best Papers, “Prioritizing the Factors Affecting the Retailer’s Supply Chain Performance”, Orlando, USA, 2013.
- Academy of Management 2013 Annual Conference, International Management Division, Willamette University, Atkinson Graduate School of Management Best Paper in International Ethics, Social Responsibility, and/or Sustainability for the paper titled “Antecedents of Voluntary Environmental Management Practices by MNEs in an Emerging Market”, Orlando, USA, 2013.
- “Impact of Information System Capabilities on Firm Performance: A Serial Multiple Mediating Model” (with A.S. Aydiner and E. Bayraktar), in Guclu Atinc (Ed.) Proceedings of the Seventy-seventh Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Atlanta, USA, 2017. Online ISSN: 2151-6561
- Academy of International Business
- Academy of Management
- Decision Sciences Institute
- International Management Development Association
- Turkish Academy of Sciences”
- Yakın Zamanda Uluslararası Akademik Dergilerde Yayınlanan Makaleler:
- “Adoption of High Performance Work Systems by Local Subsidiaries of Developed Country and Turkish MNEs and Indigenous Firms in Turkey” (with M. Demirbag and A. Wilkinson), Human Resource Management, 55(6), 1001-1024, 2016.
- “An Instrument for Measuring the Effects of Heuristics on Investment Decisions of Individual Investors” (K.C. Yalcin and S. Zaim), Kybernetes, 45(7), 1052-1071, 2016.
- “A Fuzzy-Hybrid Analytic Model to Assess Investors’ Perceptions for Industry Selection” (with H. Dincer, U. Hacioglu and D. Delen), Decision Support Systems, 86, 24-34, 2016.
- “How do Supply Chain Management and Information Systems Practices Influence Operational Performance? Evidence from Emerging Country SMEs” (with E. Bayraktar, I. Golgeci, S.C.L. Koh, M. Demirbag and S. Zaim), International Journal of Logistics: Research & Applications, 19(3), 181-199, 2016.
- “Talent Management Motives and Practices in an Emerging Market: A Comparison between MNEs and Local Firms” (with A.J. Glaister and M. Demirbag), Journal of World Business, 51(2), 278-293, 2016.
- “Linking Operations Strategy, Environmental Dynamism and Firm Performance: Evidence from Turkish Manufacturing Companies” (with A.K. Akgul and S. Gozlu), Kybernetes, 44(3), 406-422, 2015.
- “Adoption of Corporate Environmental Policies in Turkey” (with E. Bayraktar and O.A. Arda), Journal of Cleaner Production, 91, pp. 313-326, 2015.
- “The Intention to Become an Expatriate: A Multinational Application of the Theory of Planned Behavior” (with R.L. Engle, C. Schlägel, N. Dimitriadi and J. Ljubica), European Journal of International Management, 9(1), pp. 108-137, 2015.
- “Ownership and Market Entry Mode Choices of Emerging Country Multinationals in a Transition Country: Evidence from Turkish Multinationals in Romania” (with I. Anil and G. Ozkasap), Journal for East European Management Studies, 19(4), pp. 413-452, 2014.
- “Determinants of Voluntary Environmental Management Practices by MNE Subsidiaries” (with E. Bayraktar, S. Sahadev, M. Demirbag and K.W. Glaister) Journal of World Business, 49(4), pp. 536-548, 2014.
- “High-Performance Work Systems and Organizational Performance in Emerging Economies: Evidence from MNEs in Turkey” (with M. Demirbag, D. Collings, K. Mellahi and G. Wood), Management International Review, 54(3), pp. 325-359, 2014.
- “Measuring the Relative Efficiency of Quality Management Practices in Turkish Public and Private Universities” (with E. Bayraktar and S. Zaim), Journal of the Operational Research Society, 64(12), pp. 1810-1830, 2013.
- “Impact of Information System Capabilities on Firm Performance: A Serial Multiple Mediating Model” (with A.S. Aydiner and E. Bayraktar), Academy of Management 2017 Annual Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A., 2017.
- “Developing Potential and Realized ACAP: The Role of Market Sensing and Responsiveness” (with A. Bouguerra, K. Mellahi and K.W. Glaister), Academy of Management 2017 Annual Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A., 2017.
- “Leveraging Environmental Practices for Improving Firm Performance: The Key Role of Product Quality” (with U. Ahmed, I. Golgeci and E. Bayraktar), Academy of Management 2016 Annual Conference, Anaheim, CA, U.S.A., 2016.
- “Relational Sources and Sustainability: The Role of Environmental Collaboration and Alignment” (with I. Golgeci and O.A. Arda), Academy of Management 2016 Annual Conference, Anaheim, CA, U.S.A., 2016.
- “The Role of Talent Management: Examining the HRM-Performance Link in an Emerging Market Context” (with A.J. Glaister, M. Demirbag and G.Karacay Aydin), 4th Workshop on Talent Management, European Institute for Advanced Studies in Managment (EIASM), Valencia, Spain, 2015.
- “Talent Management Practices in an Emerging Market: A Comparison between MNEs and Local Firms” (with A.J. Glaister and M. Demirbag), Academy of Management 2015 Annual Conference, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, 2015.
- “Determinants of the Foreign Entry Strategies of Turkish MNEs” (with T. Ilhan-Nas, T. Okan, M. Demirbag and K.W. Glaister), Academy of Management 2015 Annual Conference, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, 2015.
BOOK / BOOK CHAPTER
- Turkish Multinationals: Market Entry and Post-Acquisition Strategy (Y. Ayden and M. Demirbag), Palgrave McMillan, 2017.
- “Brand Management Practices in an Emerging Country Market (M. Demirbag and Daragh O’Reilly), Handbook of Contemporary Research on Emerging Markets, Merchant, H.(Ed.), pp. 153-173, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2016.
- İşletmeler ve Bürokrasi (with O. Dincer, S. Zaim, H. Zaim, A. Acikgoz and R. Topal), Müsiad, Mavi Ofset, Istanbul, 2015.
- “Use of Partial Least Squares (PLS) in TQM Research: TQM Practices and Business Performance in SMEs” (with A. Turkyilmaz, S. Zaim and C. Ozkan), Handbook of Partial Least Squares, Esposito, V.V., Chin, W.W., Henseler, J. and Wang, H. (Eds.), pp. 605-620, Springer Handbooks of Computational Statistics, 2010.
- Dimensions of Western Foreign Direct Investment in Turkey (with K.W. Glaister), Westport, Connecticut: Quorum Books, 2000 (ISBN 1-56720-335-3).
- Tapu ve Kadastro Hizmetlerinde Etkinlik (with A. Yildirim, R. Yildiz and Y. Candemir), T.C. Basbakanlik Idareyi Gelistirme Baskanligi, Ankara, 2004.